Tuesday, September 21, 2010

some people just need to be told to shut the fuck up.

Have you ever immediately met someone and known what an asshole they are? Well, that's something that happens to me on a daily basis. Some people might say I'm too quick to judge, but I have found that I'm rarely, probably even never, wrong about my snap decisions.

Recently, I was at a dinner with several people I'd never met before. They all seemed open, warm, like people I'd like to spend more time around. Another friend of theirs was deciding whether or not to join us based on the menu options at the restaurant. Really, before she even arrived, she was trying to dominate our conversation. Well, this was nothing compared to what happened when she arrived in the flesh.

Good God. Now, I'm not a big talker. I like to listen to other people and respond appropriately. I will occasionally throw in a related anecdote when I think it fits the conversation. I understand that other people like to talk a lot more than me, and that's just fine. But, like I said, Good God. This girl didn't take a breath from the moment she walked up to the table. No pauses to listen to others. She could have been the only person in the room, but that wouldn't have stopped her.

Now, this was rude in and of itself. But her incessant babble isn't even the worst part. The worst part is the terrible shit she was spewing. First, she was whining that their Pho wasn't vegetarian. The she decided to order the Pho with tofu instead of beef, but still in beef broth. She then complained about how having beef broth would probably make her sick, but she does it sometimes anyway, so it would probably be okay. (WHAT. THE. HELL. Be a vegetarian or don't. Pick a team). Then, when someone else was trying to speak, she got jealous. This girl said she was anemic, and was talking about how it makes her feel. Then Mrs. Chatty jumps in and talks about how she also has low iron, and went on to explain how she feels when she "feels iron deficient." One of the people at the table I didn't know asked, like acid, how one could feel "iron deficient" and went on to introduce the word anemic into this dumbasses's vocabulary.

Then, this dumb bitch offered her feelings on graduate school to the table. Now, keep in mind that more than half of this table has spent more time in grad school than Open Mouth herself. Her sage advice, keep a notebook and print things out, fell on deaf ears. People seemed incredulous when she told them to plan on studying from 9 am to midnight each day. She said 10 million other idiotic things that I can't remember right now, but you can imagine how brilliant she is.

Wait, maybe the worst part is that she is TOTALLY UNAWARE of how idiotic her behavior is. You're in grad school and have zero social skills? Really? Are you kidding me? Shut up and get a clue. Look at the expressions on the faces of the people you're talking with. Please. For the good of us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment