Monday, September 27, 2010

Idiots I've Never Met

So, as a part of my job, I'm supposed to help prepare for an Anatomy and Physiology class that meets in the evenings. This means that I get supplies ready to go for the students, pull out any models, notes, answer keys, or anything else that the instructor wants. Piece of cake, right? Well, it is. But as easy at this could be, there is something that constantly irritates me about this. What, you might ask? Well. I have a growing suspicion that that lady teaching the A&P class is, well, an idiot.

Now, before you read this--I know this isn't a big deal. I know it's something that shouldn't bother me at all. But it does, because I hate it when people ignore simple logic.

So, this lab that I'm in charge of is a fairly simple setup. There is a classroom portion with lab tables, etc, plus all the big equipment, and a lab prep room where the chemicals, office supplies, and other "instructor only" stuff is stored.

So Mrs. A&P, we'll call her, needed some things set up last Monday...models and keys to the models. Because I don't like to leave stuff just sitting out in the open in the student-used classroom, I put the answer keys in a bin labeled "Anatomy and Physiology" that I created. This was placed in the office area of the lab prep room, so that student can't come in and steal the answers to their labs. I emailed this lady with very specific instructions as to what was where. She sent me a short email reply telling me about how she couldn't get into that room. Now, at the time, I thought this was odd, since she leaves things in there for me to clean up every single day. But I didn't spend too much time dwelling on it. She said it is always locked when she comes in, and it is a hassle to find someone to open it for her.

After I started thinking about this, I got frustrated. As I said above, she leaves me dirty animal dissection trays with water, formaldehyde, and rusting scalpels and pins in them all the time. Why couldn't she get in there? Also, the key to the classroom is the same as the key to the prep room. Because I thought maybe she hadn't noticed this, I sent her an email to let her know that in case she needs something in case of emergency, that she can get in there using whatever key she gets into the classroom with. Then I forgot about it.

Until she emailed me back. She sent back a rude reply that told me that the classroom is always open when she comes in, so to please put her stuff in the classroom, not the lab prep room. Now, this frustrates me for a few different reasons:
  1. Couldn't she ask whoever opens the classroom to unlock the prep room?
  2. Why are you being rude? Shouldn't you, as the lab instructor, know how to get to the damned safety equipment, like the mercury spill kit, first aid kit, and fire extinguisher? I wasn't rude to you when I wanted to be, so please say thanks instead of being snippy.
  3. Why is the lab that I am responsible for being unlocked by some unknown entity every day? It is just magically open? There are no classes that meet in the room between the time I leave and the time that she arrives. So someone just walks around unlocking rooms with thousands of dollars worth of equipment? And you think this is okay? No. No, it is not.
But anyway, I guess Mrs. A&P isn't grateful. Oh, well. Also. To add to my frustration, she sent me the following email last Friday:

I left the dirty trays in the sink and put the brains with dura mater in the bucket and the others on one tray in the fridge (wasn't sure where they needed to go)....they will need those again next thursday.

I will send you a list today (maybe over the weekend, but defn by monday moring) for monday night's lab....and Wedesday they have an exam on muscle so I won't need anything then.

thanks!

Mrs. A&P

Now...I'm just going to totally ignore the following typos: defn?, moring, not morning, Wedesday, not Wednesday (at least she managed to capitalize that one). Let's just dissect on the basis of content.

I left the dirty trays in the sink and put the brains with dura mater in the bucket and the others on one tray in the fridge (wasn't sure where they needed to go)....they will need those again next thursday.

You know where this sink full of dirty trays is? In the room that's so fucking hard for this lady to get into. Oh, and the trays in the fridge? The brains without dura mater? Try putting them in the bucket marked "brains without dura mater." thanks!

I will send you a list today (maybe over the weekend, but defn by monday moring) for monday night's lab....and Wedesday they have an exam on muscle so I won't need anything then.

When will you send me that list again? Today? Maybe over the weekend? But defn by Monday moring? Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, I must have misunderstood what moring, means, because, despite me sending her an email asking, she didn't manage to let me know by Monday MORNING what she needed, so when I had to leave work at 12, I had squat for her.

I guess she just had to find a key to the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment