Saturday, October 2, 2010

“Pennies” damn it!

Many people at my school, faculty, students and parents, try to find ways to help others.  It seems some group is always promoting some campaign to raise money, donate food or collect books for a worthy cause.  I think that is a great thing.

What is not a great thing, is having gross spelling errors on campaign posters.  You see, there is a penny drive going on to raise money for some charity.  Students from various classes have made posters to put up in the hallways to encourage everyone to bring their pennies to school.  Walking down two main hallways full of these posters, I don’t think I’ve seen the word penny pluralized correctly on any of them.  I’ve seen penny’s, penneys, pennys and penney’s.  I have also seen you’re and your both spelled ur various times.  To be fair, someone has gone back, in pencil, to try to correct some of the ur sightings by adding yo- to the beginnings.  But when the rest of the poster is in marker, a thin pencil correction cannot be seen unless you are standing directly in front of the damn thing.  NOTHING has been done about the failed attempts at pluralizing penny.

My question is, who the fuck allowed these posters on the hallways of a SCHOOL?  Let’s conveniently ignore the fact that middle school students should be able to spell the aforementioned words correctly.  Where are the adults who allowed the posters on the wall?  Why didn’t they make the students correct them?  What do they think literate visitors to our school will think?

I know I have high expectations and standards that can sometimes be a little too high, but is it so much to ask that a few basic words be fucking spelled correctly?  Sheesh, what profession am I in again?

No comments:

Post a Comment